Monday, April 3, 2017

Seafaring

When I was about 11, I had a drowning experience at Cusyong beach, Cotabato City. That gave me the water trauma or hydrophobia.  Not so complicated though.  I just don't like immersing myself in the water for a long time.  I feel like my lungs are going to explode.  I don't know how to really swim ~ just floating.  I tried learning but I didn't finish it.  Such a coward me!  Yes, that's me when it comes to water. Anyway, i still love the scene of a traditional boat sailing at night with the moon so full and orange.  It gives me a feeling of serenity and slow journey but calm and guided.

computer painted solitary boat on a moonlit night


I made this painting with an imagination - I am sailing with my eternal companion, just lying down on his broad shoulders and talking anything under the moon...kissin' like time stood still.  Then he plays his guitar or sings a melodious song while I hug him sideways and my face resting against his sturdy back.





My grandpa Mauro - mum's dad was a seafarer.  A very good swimmer.  I remember, when I was a kid, we sailed with his ship.  There was a huge sea turquoise in it.  I was happy and scared to have seen it but my grandpa said, they already freed her.  We call it 'pawikan' in the Phillies.  One of my mom's favorite memories with her dad was sailing with him and docked off for a while in Zamboanga where my mom played on the flowerful plaza. There she saw this 5 leaf clover flower which they said was a luck ~ usually it's just 4 leaf clover.  Her dad would come home with many goods for them like dried squid, mangosteen, bananas, eggs, milk, etc.  Life was still easy until grandpa Mauro had to resign due to severe dizziness.  That resignation was a blessing in disguise because right after that, the ship Dona Marilyn sunk into the ocean.  My grandpa was spared. 


My uncle Rodolfo - mum's brother was a retired seafarer too.  He's a captain of a cargo ship.  Last 2004, mom and I sailed with his ship going to Cotabato City.  It was such an adventure.  I was treating my kidney infection that time that's why mom decided to bring me to Cotabato City again...to breathe fresh sea water air.  There were nights, the heavy wind tossed the empty cargo ship. Mum threw up.  In the morning, I saw the dolphins swimming along the ship.  Such a good view.  How I love dolphins.   Then when we were near Cagayan de Oro, we had to climb down the ship to a boat just holding onto the rope.  It was like a survivor thingy. The boat was still on the water.  I did that bravely!


Now his son Rodolfo Jr "Bobong" is also a seafarer of a Chemical Tank Ship.  He's the Second Mate and is still wanting to get promoted.  Seamen are paid really good.  So Bobong was able to help his dad treat his ailment.  He also financed some of Cathy's (his elder sister) wedding expenses.  Apart from that, he also bought their family a house and lot and car.  Such a big-hearted fella.


Way back then, my mom and I would sail the WGA Super Ferry ship going to Manila and back to Cotabato City.  I had a lot of good memories meeting new friends and some crushes. Hahaha. It will take 3 days and 2 nights going to Cotabato City from Manila.  That far!  But a good voyage...

My wish someday is to ride a luxury cruise liner with my eternal companion and kids.  Just going to a nice beach or place to enjoy life together in this mortal state.

No comments:

Which is Better: PAID or FREE Cosplay Event?

What is Cosplay? Cosplay. a portmanteau of "costume play" is an activity and performance art in which participants called cosplaye...