Monday, May 8, 2017

Recycling Heirloom Morado Opal Stone into a HALO OPAL RING

Halo MORADO OPAL RING with purple and white opalite
When I was 15, my grandma, Leonor, mom's mother gave me a ring.  I was a teenager without any inclination to jewelry at all.  I wore it but not too long.  Besides, the ring setting got destroyed.  What's left was the stone.  All along I thought it was a jade.
Years passed, just two years ago, I came across a jeweler. He's a new convert in our church. His masterpieces are watches but he also customize jewelries.  I showed him my thought-so jade stone.  He checked it and found out that it was an opal.  He tested it and according to him it was real.  I got so excited.  
I checked his catalogues.  But couldn't really decide for myself because I like them all. hahaha.  I told him as long as it will make the ring beautiful, that's fine.  I trusted him. 
While waiting, I did some research and here's what I found out:
It's a MORADO OPAL.
"Morado Opal, also called "purple opal" and "Opal Royale" is a purple variety of opalite (common opal) found in Central Mexico.  Its name is derived from the Spanish word "morado" which means "purple."  It does not exhibit "play-of-color."  Its beauty is in its wonderful purple and white colors that meet in dramatic and subtle combinations and patterns.  
Morado is one of the least expensive opals capable of producing designer-grade cabochons.

Uses of Morado Opal
Most morado opal is cut into cabochons.  Cutters willing to seek beauty over yield can produce spectacular stones from high quality rough. Wonderful slabs can be purchased for a few dollars per square inch, and nice bulk rough can be purchased for under $100 per pound.  Morado opal first began to appear in abundance at the 2012 Tucson Gem and Mineral Show.  It is a good material for people making their first attempts at cutting opal.  
Morado, like all other opals, is a vulnerable gem when used in jewelry.  It is easily chipped and scratched if used in a ring or bracelet.  It is most appropriate for earrings, pendants and other jewelry that is not exposed to abrasion. 
Morado jewelry should always be stored with care.  Earrings should be stored on cards, and pendants should be stored in a way that the chain will not abrade the stone.  Like any opal, it should be stored where it will not be exposed to heat, cold, or temperature changes."(http://geology.com/gemstones/opal/morado-opal.shtml)


Fortunate enough, my stone turned-out to be so glamorous. I loved every detail of it.  He made it into a Halo Setting. Felt so royalty! hahaha.
"The Halo setting refers to the placement of stones (titus) in a concentric circle or square around a center stone.  The halo setting makes the center stone appear larger - a great option to boost the appearance of a small stone - and it increases the over-all sparkle of the ring
A halo setting, then, can be a way to save money on a smaller-carat-diamond (stone) while not sacrificing the over-all appearance of the ring.  In addition, adding a halo of colored stones or setting the halo diamonds (stone) with a different color metal can make for a contrast in colors.
Halos are often paired with pavĂ© bands but could certainly stand on their own.  And as the name implies, a double halo settings consists of two concentric circles of gemstones that encircle circles of gemstones that encircle the center stone." (https://www.diamonds.pro/guide-ring-settings/)
According to Bro. Rommel Cruz, he added some titus around the oval opal.  For the finger setting, he used purified silver.  
This is how it looks like.   
perfect side by side with my CTR silver ring

showing off the titus stones in halo setting 

purified silver halo setting

Now, it is one of my priceless possession because it's an HEIRLOOM from my grandmother.  I don't know how much it costs now in the market.  According to Bro. Rommel Cruz, it HAS a price.  That's good enough to know.

I keep using that felt Dior packet and wet it from to time to time.  Opal stones needs water to keep the brilliance.

How much I spent for this recycling is exclusive.  If you wish to know, message me here so I can forward you Bro. Cruz's contact number.

Well, until now, I am not into jewelry possession, I like studying about them.  Becoming a gemilogist in the Philippines is an expensive course. What i do is just read a lot online and join clubs.




















No comments:

Which is Better: PAID or FREE Cosplay Event?

What is Cosplay? Cosplay. a portmanteau of "costume play" is an activity and performance art in which participants called cosplaye...